Caldo Verde, a Portuguese national favorite. It is a simple yet hearty soup made with potatoes, kale and chorizo. Caldo Verde can be found all over Portugal, from Lisbon’s most luxurious hotels to the humblest of country homes. A powerhouse for minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, kale is the healthiest food on the planet. When the cooler weather rolls around, I am always on the hunt for new and unusual soup/stew recipes, and this one quickly became quite popular in our house. Caldo Verde is sure to banish away your winter woes. It is an ideal cool weather, downright satisfying comfort food, that will have you coming back for seconds. The chorizo adds some spiciness and slight heat to the soup, the pureed potatoes in the soup is wonderfully filling, whilst the greens make it healthy and worthwhile. A small cup for starters or as a main meal, Caldo Verde is just tickety-boo! When preparing this soup, pour yourself some port, it helps to get you in the mood 🙂 Serve it with some rustic bread and wallow in praise :).
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage
- 6 potatoes
- 32 fl. oz. low salt chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh kale or cabbage (I used both)
- smoked paprika and olive oil, for dressing
- Sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil till translucent
- Chop the sausage into small chunks and add to the onion
- Sweat the onions and sausage for a few more minutes and then add the diced potatoes. They will absorb all the flavor from the sausage.
- Add the stock, seasoning and bay leaves and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, very finely chop the cabbage.
- When the potatoes are ready, mash them into the broth to make a thick base. Blanch the greens in boiling water for one minute to take off any bitterness, drain, then add to the simmering broth.
- Add as much cabbage as the broth will support. If you want a heavy soup, add loads of greens, if lighter, add less.
- Simmer for a few minutes. The soup will turn the color of jade.
- Mix the smoked paprika with some olive oil to make a dressing, and swirl this red magic into the green vibrant soup.
A wee tip on how to get rid of the tough stems on the leafy kale. Hold the bottom of the stalk and strip, it should come apart easily. You can use the tough stalks to make extra broth for another time.
I’m taking this Caldo Verde soup to Angie’s FF #42. Thanks to Angie for this ongoing virtual gathering of foodies from around the world. It is wonderful to see everyone’s contribution and creations. Thanks also to our co-hosts Tracy@ScratchIt and Stephanie@TheCozyCook. Do take some time to acknowledge and give credit to Angie and her co-hosts who, each week work so diligently make it all happen. It also qualifies you to be featured the following week. If you wish to add your contribution, do click on the link for the Fiesta Friday blog party guidelines. Happy Fiesta Friday all!