Don’t you just love baking sweet breads when your fruit is looking rather sad in the fruit bowl? I think there’s no dearth of bread recipes when it comes to a fast, nutritious breakfast or tea break. This bread definitely clicked all the boxes for me, the bananas were pretty ripe and there were fresh blueberries and applesauce in the refrigerator. The fact that this recipe called for white wholewheat flour, meant that I could eat an additional slice at each sitting minus the guilt :). I found this recipe on Skinnytaste.com. The ingredients on this site are always fresh, low-fat and hearty.
Banana Blueberry Bread
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 8 x 4 loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined, do not over mix. Fold in the blueberries and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan; bake in the center rack for about 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, the bread should be at room temperature before slicing.
Another great Fiesta Friday #69, hosted by the wonderful Angie and her co-hosts Juju @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Amanda @ The Chunky Chef. Thank you all lovely ladies, without you this would not be possible. Happy weekend!