This chicken dish with the citrus juices, the sweetness of the honey marinade, the spiciness of the crushed pepper flakes and the tangy lemon flavors is grand enough to serve at a dinner party or for your family’s Sunday dinner. The dates and carrots give the sauce texture and the garden herbs and pistachio nuts lend freshness and crunch. The ingredients can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance then all you need to do is pop it in the oven before your guests arrive. Serve it with a garden salad, rice or couscous. This dish will not disappoint.
Sweet, Tangy and Spicy Roast Chicken
- 1 lemon, plus 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Jamaican Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Chiptole Chile Powder
- black pepper to taste
- 4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I used boneless, skinless thighs, but I believe bone-in would be better)
- 3 cups sliced carrots (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced dates
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pistachio nuts for garnish
- Quarter the lemon lengthwise, removing any seeds. Thinly slice crosswise into small wedges and add to small pot of boiling, salted water. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain. Reserve slices.
- In a saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, orange juice, oil, mustard, honey, salt, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Put chicken in a bowl and add honey mixture. Add carrots, onion, dates, thyme and blanched lemon slices. Turn mixture several times to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, but preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Transfer all ingredients, including marinade to a sheet pan with a rim. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 30-40 minutes for legs and thighs. When the chicken is done, give the carrot mixture in the pan a stir. If the pan looks dry, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water. I think the next time around, I’ll be adding additional water to get more gravy. Continue roasting the carrots until they are tender, about 7-12 minutes longer.
- Spoon carrots and juices over chicken and top with cilantro, scallions and pistachio nuts.
I’m taking this dish to Fiesta Friday # 73 where each week Angie and her co-hosts welcome us in a virtual setting. It is always fun to see who is around and sample the offerings. Thanks to Michelle and Juju for co-hosting today. Click on their blogs to see the wonderful display of dishes today.