The garden is producing an abundant supply of tomatoes, eggplants and a variety of peppers. It has been pretty rewarding and I’d say our first attempt at these raised vegetable beds have proved successful. The okra and corn should be ready in a couple of weeks. I think we’ve had our fill of baby bok choy, and swiss chard. The squash, beans, and cucumbers have been semi-devoured by the deer, but I do believe we will be getting some leftovers soon :). I’ve had a fun time trying out various manual settings with my camera, aren’t the colors so vibrant?
Roasted Eggplant & Tomato Salad
- 2 medium eggplant, 3 cups cubed
- 6-7 medium tomatoes, 3 cups cubed
- 5 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 4-5 large basil leaves torn into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Cut ends off eggplant, slice into 1″ slices, then quarter slices.
- Toss eggplant with 1½ tablespoon of olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Place on first baking sheet.
- Cut tomatoes into 1″ cubes and toss with 1½ tablespoon of olive oil and ⅛ teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Place on second baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggplant is soft and starts to caramelize (darken around edges)
- Remove both sheets from oven and let cool.
- Place eggplant and tomato, vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, walnuts and toss.
- Top with torn basil and parmesan cheese.
Serve – we ate this gorgeous salad with some grilled sourdough bread and a glass of crisp white wine. It was a complete meal.