It’s that time of year when Farmers markets, gardens and home produce are a plenty. I like to keep a stock of vegetables that I can freeze and use at a later date, in the depths of winter when fresh produce isn’t as plentiful. Spaghetti sauce is something I make fairly frequently from all the chopped tomatoes that I freeze over the summer. Peppers also freeze pretty well. These cucumbers were waiting to be pickled, I made a very simple recipe taken from The Smitten Kitchen, it turned out beautiful, I’ve made enough to share with friends.
- 4 large pickling cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, coarse
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 pods of smashed garlic
- Place them in a 1-liter or equivalent lidded jar. Add 3 teaspoons kosher salt and dill, then pour in white vinegar. Close the jar and give it a few shakes to begin distributing the ingredients.
- Add smashed garlic, and sugar and shake it up vigorously.
- Refrigerate, and shake often. It will be ready to eat in about 6-8 hours. Keep it refrigerated and it will last about 4 weeks.