Here I am, back again sharing why I’ve been so busy in my kitchen lately. All the produce that the garden is generating at an alarming rate has to be turned into something nutritious, flavorful and freezable (Is that a word)? So today I will be presenting these yummy gluten-free muffins. I’ve used swiss chard here, in addition to the green tops of the beets that I had saved in the refrigerator. The vivid and striking colors, texture and taste were just amazing! Being gluten-free, you know the lack of carbs should definitely be an asset on the waistline, so don’t hesitate to reach out for seconds. Eat these muffins for breakfast, lunch or dinner with a side salad or just a snack.
Swiss chard, Beet Greens and Ricotta gluten-free muffins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups assorted swiss chard and beet greens
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook for several minutes or until soft. Add the swiss chard and beet greens and cook for about 5 minutes until the leaves are wilted and the stems have softened. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Stir in the sauteed greens.
- Pour into muffin tins (I used cupcake liners in the muffin tin) and placed it on a baking sheet before I slipped it in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or less. Test with a toothpick to see if they are done.
I’m bringing these muffins to Fiesta Friday #133. Thanks Angie for always delivering the goods. You’re the best!