So it must seem a bit hypocritical that I post pictures of this luscious dessert after preaching about heart healthy foods last week don’t you think? Yes, for the most part we still concentrate on keeping our tickers in check, but every so often these indulgences take over and there’s no stopping me. In my defense though I’ll have to say that some of these calorie laden desserts mostly surface in my kitchen when I am entertaining or in this case, we were invited to dinner, and I offered to bring dessert.
I’ve made this dessert a few times as I like the fact that there’s no flour involved. This torte is perfect for chocolate lovers! It is great for entertaining and deceptively easy to make. It is also ideal for people who can’t have gluten. Here, I’ve served it with a chocolate ganache, topped with fruit which made it over the top melt-in-your-mouth licious 🙂
Flourless Chocolate Torte
- 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line it with parchment paper, then grease the paper again, and dust with cocoa powder.
- In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla. The chocolate can also be melted in the microwave. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. For the ganache I heated heavy cream till it came to a boil. I then added semi-sweet chocolate chips, a bit of butter and stirred till glossy.
Voila! A dessert fit for a Queen! I guess I’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day with this sweet treat.