I wouldn’t tag myself as vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or specifically belonging to a certain food group, but every so often I go through spurts of trying it all out. This gluten-free dinner was one of those times. I guess I like to challenge myself when it comes to trying a certain food group. I could easily cut out all carbs, well almost all, although there are times when I do crave rice and potatoes. My husband Bert, on the other hand, is a potato-holic, so I have him just bake a potato for himself each time.
Marinating the chicken with garlic, dried oregano, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl I prepped the other veggies. I spiralized the zucchini. Prepared a salsa for the tomato, cucumber and onion with some red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano salt and pepper.
Greek chicken summer flavors
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 tsp dried oregano (divided)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (divided)
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper (divided)
- 4 chicken breasts (approx 2lbs boneless, skinless)diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 large zucchinis spiralized
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 lemon sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp lemon zest, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts, toss to coat and place in refrigerator.
- Combine the onion, cherry tomatoes and cucumber in another bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 tbsp olive oil with the red wine vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
- Pour this mixture over the diced tomato, cucumber and onion, toss to combine.
- Remove the diced chicken from the marinade and thread on skewers on a grill over medium heat for 10-12 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is grilling, spiralize the zucchini noodles, add remaining olive oil to large skillet and saute the noodles for 3 minutes or so.
- Plate it up with the zucchini noodles, the salsa, the grilled chicken. Finally, sprinkle the feta and fresh mint. Serve with a lemon wedge.