When August rolls around, I’m almost ready to switch to Fall like meals, you know those stews, soups and curries. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still enjoying salads and lighter fare, but I can feel myself winding down and ready to switch seasons in the kitchen 🙂 But whatever you do, don’t let this summer go by without trying this salad that is sure to please all taste buds.
There’s just so much flavor happening in this Mexican inspired salad, from the baked chicken strips to the roasted peppers and red onions, from the olives and black beans to the avocado slices and creaminess of the cilantro lime dressing. A fork full of this goodness will have your family begging you to make this again and again. I love salads that are hearty and wholesome. The only thing I didn’t do here was to actually grill the chicken on the barbeque which would have given it that distinct charred look.
Gathering some of the ingredients together
Fajita Salad with Creamy Cilantro dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips
- cooking spray
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced red pepper rings
- 1 cup sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 1 avocado
Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all ingredients for cilantro-lime sauce, and stir well with a whisk. I added some mashed avocado here too. Cover and chill
- Combine first 6 ingredients, olive oil to black pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add chicken mixture; saute 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Alternatively place on skewers and grill on barbeque.
- Roast peppers and red onions separately in oven.
- To plate, place lettuce leaves in a circular pattern in large bowl (see picture).
- Add roasted peppers and roasted red onion.
- Add olives, beans, shredded cheese, cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Add chicken.
- Drizzle cilantro lime dressing. Mix and serve.