Yes, you can almost smell Fall in the air……..I say almost because we’ve unexpectedly had temperatures climbing into the 80’s for the past week and we’re even expecting 90’s by the weekend. Still, what’s lovely about this time of year are the cool nights. Don’t you just love sleeping with the windows wide open listening to the cicadas and crickets calling in the night? I know I do, they almost lull you to sleep. So this is the countdown for Fall inspired dishes.
Today, I’d like to share a recipe that caught my eye. I just knew I had to make it, look at all those vibrant colors and flavors going on. The colors resemble the Fall leaves don’t you think? This fragrant turmeric rice bowl topped with spiced roasted root vegetables and chickpeas is inspired by flavors from India for an easy, vegetarian dinner. Root vegetables grow under the soil, so they are packed with nutrients, you can choose what you like or have on hand. I used purple onion, sweet potato and parsnips.
Turmeric Rice with Garam Masala Root Vegetables and Chickpeas
Ingredients for Rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Method for Rice
- To prepare rice, combine water, rice, raisins, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the liquid is absorbed 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes.
Vegetables & Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or Indian curry powder
- 1 cup roasted root vegetables
- 1 whole red onion cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper cleaned and diced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt or tahini for topping
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as mint, parsley or cilantro for garnish
Method for Vegetables & Chickpeas
- Heat coconut oil (or ghee) in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas and cook, stirring, until crispy about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala (or curry powder) and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- At the same time, have all your root vegetables, onion and red pepper chopped and roasting in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add roasted root vegetables, honey, salt and pepper, to the chickpeas – cook stirring often until heated through 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve the vegetable mixture over the rice, topped with yogurt (or tahini).
- Garnish with herbs, if desired.
- I served with avocado slices and grilled salmon.
This recipe is adapted from Eating Well.