My post’s title today is taken from the largest running sitcom in the world called “Last of the Summer Wine” – it’s British you know and pretty hilarious if you haven’t watched it. It is about a trio of old men and their youthful misadventures. It was filmed in West Yorkshire in England, so you can well imagine the gorgeous scenery. Anyway, what does this have to do with my salad? Absolutely nothing, except I thought it would be a good title for today’s post. 🙂
We’ve been hit by sweltering heat these past few weeks here in the mid-Atlantic states. I’m doing my happy dance because the awful heat and humidity is predicted to drop by tomorrow. I’m ready for cooler Fall temperatures. I think I’ve just about had enough of 90+ degree weather in September! It’s not fun let me tell you. How about those poor tennis players at the US Open? I’ve enjoyed watching the matches, but cannot even begin to fathom how tough it has been for all the players. Ice breaks and heat rules were imperative as the week went along.
This salad can be a tad time consuming if you make it from scratch, but if you have any leftover rotisserie chicken, it will come together in no time. I just added some poultry seasonings together with fresh thyme, salt and pepper and popped it in the oven. The best part? I absolutely love the avocado-lime dressing, wait till you read the ingredients, it’s what makes this salad POP in your mouth – I’ve been eating it by the spoonful 🙂
Orzo, sweet corn, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, shredded chicken, fresh basil and crumbled feta cheese being assembled.
Orzo Chicken Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
- 3/4 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 small avocado, seeded, peeled and cut up
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare salad – In a medium saucepan, cook orzo according to package directions, adding corn during the last 1 minute of cooking. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly, drain well. In a large bowl, combine orzo mixture, chicken, tomatoes and fresh basil. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Cover and chill.
- Meanwhile prepare dressing. In a blender or food processor, combine 1 small avocado, seeded, peeled and cut up; 1/3 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel; 1/4 cup lime juice; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer dressing to a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- To serve, drizzle with salad dressing.
Recipe adapted from: EatingWell.com