Cherry and Pistachio Tart
- 2 sticks unsalted butter – cut into 1/2″ cubes, kept cold
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Sift together sugar, salt and flour a couple of times.
- Cut in butter until butter is about pea sized clumps.
- Add egg and work until it just comes together.
- Separate into 2/3 and 1/3 balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2 cups cherry preserves – store bought or follow recipe below
- 1 – 16oz bag frozen or fresh pitted cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Put cherries in a pot over medium heat. In separate container, whisk together sugar, water and corn starch.
- Pour over cherries and add zest and lemon juice. Bring to rolling boil to activate cornstarch.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add 1/2 tsp extract – either almond or vanilla or combination of both as suits you.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped dried sweet cherries.
- Add 1/2 cup raw pistachios or slivered blanched almonds as suits you.
Mix together cherry preserves, dried cherries and extract (s) – refrigerate while you roll out the 2/3 portion of dough on a floured surface, remembering to rotate and add flour if it’s sticking (to about 1/4″ thick). Use parchment paper if you wish.
Line tart pan. Add cherry mixture and sprinkle the nuts on top – put in the fridge while you roll out the remaining 1/3 dough and cut into 1/2″ strips. Create lattice over the top of the cherry mixture. If you desire, brush lattice with egg white whisked with 1 tbsp milk and sprinkle coarse grain sugar over top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 60 minutes or until cherries are bubbling and top is golden brown.