Devilishly Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, not packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup hot coffee OR hot water
For the Fudgy Buttercream:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons whole milk or half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup cupcake/muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray the liners with non-stick spray – it does help them peel right off.
- Melt the oil, butter and chocolate together in the microwave, heating in 30 second increments and stirring in between each time. Whisk mixture until completely smooth and set aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt; stir together until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolk, sugar and vanilla together; beat until smooth. Add the cooled oil/butter/chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Add half the flour mixture, then half the sour cream. Repeat the process until everything is added, and be sure to mix until just combined – then quickly stir in the hot coffee/water. It’s important not to over mix here. Just stir until evenly combined.
- Divide the batter among the 12 liners in your prepared pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the fudge buttercream
- Sift together the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder, whisking well to ensure it is bump and lump free!
- Using a handheld mixer OR a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy for about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder, alternating with the sour cream and milk, then add the vanilla and salt. Once all the ingredients have been added, beat on high speed until light and creamy and well combined (beat for at least 1 minute on high).
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with any decorations of desired.
- Cupcakes stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.