Jamaican Curry Goat
- 2 1/2 pounds goat meat cut up
- 1 inch ginger chopped or grated
- 2 stalks whole thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican curry powder (this curry powder is different from the Indian curry powder. Jamaican curry powder is a blend of turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, pimento, black pepper and star anise).
- I also added a tablespoon of Jerk Seasoning as suggested by another local
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose seasoning or Chicken Maggi granules
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 stalks scallions
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- pinch of salt
- Scotch Bonnet Jamaican peppers (or habaneros if you cannot find the Scotch Bonnet peppers)
- Mix all above (except the carrots and potatoes)and leave it covered overnight.
- Before frying it up, remove all the whole herbs so as not to burn it.
- In a fry pan add a little oil and brown goat, moving it around so as not to burn it.
- Chop up the whole herbs and add to fry pan.
- At this point I cooked it on slow heat and covered it so it formed its own gravy.
- Add water when necessary.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook till done.
- Cover and cook again on medium-low till the meat is tender. I sometimes leave it for about an hour and a bit on a slow simmer.