middle eastern chicken kebabs
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- zest from one lemon
- 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 zucchini cut into wedges
- 2 yellow peppers cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers cut into wedges
- vegetable oil for greasing the grill
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, olive oil, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Thread the chicken onto metal skewers, folding if the pieces are long and thin and alternating occasionally with the red onion, red peppers, yellow peppers and zucchini.
- Place the kebabs on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Spoon or brush the marinade all over the meat, coating well. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. To grease the grill, lightly dip a wad of paper towels in vegetable oil and, using tongs, carefully rub over the grates several times until glossy and coated. Grill the chicken kebabs until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve.