Mint and Pea Pulao
- Rice – 1 1/2 cups, basmati
- Onion – 1 big, sliced thin
- Peas – 1 cup
- Mint – 2 tbsp if using dry, or 1/4 cup finely chopped if using fresh
- Ghee/oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 4
- Black Peppercorn – 4-5
- Bay leaf – 1
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1 3/4 cups
- Wash and soak the rice till ready to use.
- Heat oil in pan. Add cumin seeds, once they crackle add all the whole spices. Do not add powdered spices right now. Saute for a few seconds till they swell, on medium lower flame.
- Add sugar to it. Also add sliced onions. Saute the onions on medium flame till they are brown and caramelized. It will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Keep stirring often or else it will burn because of the sugar.
- Add mint leaves and peas. Also drain the rice and add the rice to the pan. Cook on low medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala with salt. Stir and add the water.
- Cover the lid and bring it to a boil. Then simmer and cook till the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the gas stove. Let stand covered without touching it for about 7-10 minutes. Then remove the lid and gently fork it.
- Serve warm. Add roasted cashews if you wish.